top of page

Can I apply for Spanish Citizenship if I'm the parent of a Spanish minor?

Updated: Oct 21, 2021

There are several alternatives to apply for the Spanish nationality. However, can you obtain your Spanish citizenship by being the parent of a Spanish minor?

The parents of a Spanish minor can request the family residence card of a citizen of the European Union, or a residency authorization for family roots.

That is, parents must carry out their Spanish citizenship procedure by residence, meeting the deadlines that are required according to their nationality of origin (10 years general rule; 5 years for refugees; 2 years for nationals of Ibero-American countries, Andorra, Philippines, Equatorial Guinea, Portugal, or Sephardic; and one year for those who are in any of the cases contemplated by our Civil Code).

In relation to the preparation of the file, in addition to the mandatory documentation for each individual person, the parents must provide the documentation related to the Spanish minor.

Thus, there is no citizenship application procedure for being parents of Spanish minors. Nor is it an advantage for the purpose of the application process for nationality by residence, although this circumstance may be considered when studying the application and issuing a resolution.

To carry out this procedure or any Spanish immigration procedure, contact us at

Bianca Tosta

Trois & Law

28 views0 comments
bottom of page